Mung Bean Filling*
Mung Bean Filling
- Cook the mung beans in the water on medium heat for about 15 minutes
- Add in the rest of the filling ingredients and cook for another 20mins whilst stirring from time to time.
- Put the mixture in a food processor and process into a smooth paste.
- Split into 3 portions and add to each portion as much of each powder as you want. We used about ½ - 1 tbsp of each powder.
- Mix in the powdered until well combined. The paste may be a bit soft but it will thicken as it cools down
- Once cooled roll into balls (we rolled into ~30g balls based on the size of our mooncake moulds. Set aside while you make the skin.
- Mix the cooked glutinous rice flour and icing sugar together till well combined
- Add in the coconut oil and mix through
- Mix the pink pitaya powder OR matcha powder with the water till well combined. Skip the step to create a white skin.
- Poor the liquid mix into the dry mix and knead until a soft smooth dough is formed
- Let it rest for 15 mins
- Divide into ~15g portions. Note that you may have to adjust this depending on the size of your mooncakes. But the ratio of filling to skin should be about 2:1
To make the mooncakes
- Flatten the mooncake skin dough and place the filling into the centre of it.
- Wrap up the filling inside the dough tightly and make sure its sealed.
- Put into a floured mooncake mould. Tap and remove
- Chill in the fridge for a least 4 hours before serving.
- Store any left overs in the fridge